Posts

Monday 4 January 2016

Butterflies and Xanthine

What, you may ask, is xanthine? Well until it was included in the new challenge over at Butterfly challenge. I had never even heard of it, let alone asked what it was!
Here is the definition supplied on their website
 
"Xanthine =  The yellow colouring matter found in certain plants as in Yellow Madder.
(Madder is from the Genus Rubia and has small yellow flowers, whorled leaves and a reddish brown root.)"
 
So basically it's just a fancy way of saying that we have to make something which includes a yellow butterfly and something else yellow too.
As school finished for the year in early December something to use as a Thank you gift was in order and these little thank you chocolate folders fit the criteria perfectly (both to hand out to colleagues and for the challenge).
 
 
I machine stitched the punched butterflies onto the folder once I had scored the folding lines but before I attached the pocket for the chocolate. The bars of chocolate where all 120g. The ribbon was also attached by machine prior to adding the pocket. I used double sided tape to secure the pocket.
 
With the "mistakes" and left over butterflies I made some little gift tags
 

and here.

 
All the butterflies are punched out of paint chip sheets and the sentiment is computer generated.
 
 
Supplies:
Card stock: 160gsm in a variety of colours
                    Paint chip cards
Satin ribbon
Double sided tape
Butterfly punch
Sewing machine
White thread
Tags: Flat backed gems 
          Rolfes metallic marker in gold and pink
          Scraps of paper
          Pentel fine liner in black 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. what a lovely way to say Thank You, your gift folder are lovely, clean and simple yet decorative with all the colourful Butterflies. would never have thought to machine sew onto a card. Thanks for joining us over at Butterfly Challenge x Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that has to be the most novel way of attaching butterflies to a card and tag. I love your idea and the butterflies are all so pretty. (I'm off down the DIY shop pronto to pick up a pile of paint samples!)
    Xanthine does exist honest. I found it in my Dad's dictionary. Still it got everyone in a stew over what x was going to be. Thankyou for fluttering by my #45 challenge. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. Love the way you've used those little butteflies on the thank you cards. The gift tags are so cute too. I don't have a butterfly punch but now I feel I need one...

    ReplyDelete